I read somewhere that summer is officially over on the blogosphere. Someone shoot me with a water gun and say it isn’t so. Things have been so hectic over here I didn’t take full advantage of the long summer days, the bonfires, and the s’mores.
And while some people would celebrate getting a job by opening up a nice bottle of wine and making toasts to their continued success, I finally feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders (or brain), and can enjoy my last few days of unemployment by getting back in the kitchen!
One thing I have been taking full advantage of is Mexican food. I suppose I should say Tex-Mex as some of it isn’t traditional South-of-the-Border fare either. But I am psyched to be back with my beloved avocado. It just makes everything taste so much BETTER! I pile it onto everything from blueberry bagels to entomatadas and feel no shame in it whatsoever. And isn’t guacamole the perfect dip to transition into football season and the onslaught of inevitable chip dipping that shall ensue?
It’s kind of funny because when first introduced to avocados in the form of guacamole back in the first grade, their green color and mushy texture was off-putting to me. Today, I have shifted and instead think of avocados and vibrant and creamy. On a psychological level, I tell myself I’m rocking the whole healthy living and have mastered superfoods 101.
And as if a nice heaping bowl of a more traditional guacamole recipe wouldn’t be satisfying enough, I’ve gone and added some grilled pineapples to it. With their charred grill marks, smoky aroma, and the added sweetness that gets drawn out from searing it you can hang on to a little bit of summer with every bite. It won’t matter if you’re still sporting shorts around one last campfire or watching sports wrapped up in an electric blanket from the comfort of your living room.
Special notes with this quick and easy chip dip or taco topping: I only used ¾ of this pineapple, but you can easily add a couple more avocados to taste and polish off the entire fruit. You can also grill up the entire pineapple and use the leftovers for pizzas, burgers, or beef/chicken taco night later in the week! PS, another game changer? Try it with cream cheese and ham on a bagel sandwich. I shall now leave you to your drooling. Adios dear amigos!
- 3-4 slices pineapple (1 ½ cup, 1 cup mixed in and ½ cup reserved for garnish)
- 3 large avocadoes
- ¼ onion
- Juice from one lime, approximately 4 tablespoons
- ½ jalapeno, or to taste
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro (a small handful)
- Salt to taste
- We have a small tin can of oak chips that sit in our grill that we change periodically to add a nice smokey flavor to things. Grill your pineapple, for about 6 minutes on each side or until there are grill marks on it. Depending on how hot your flame is this could happen in as little as 3 minutes. Take it off the grill and let it cool.
- Cube the pineapple put 1 cup into your mixing bowl. You should still have approximately ½ cup left over to use as garnish. Remove the avocado pulp from the avocadoes and set in the bowl with the pineapple. Mince the quarter onion. Squeeze in the lime juice. Using a potato masher or a fork, mash the avocadoes and pinapple to your desired consistency. Add salt to taste, starting with ¼ teaspoon. Stir in the cilantro. Place in a serving bowl and garnish with the remaining ½ cup of pineapple and a little extra cilantro if desired.
- This dip can be used with chips, on tacos, or even with your favorite grilled meat.